January 22, 2010

Obvilivious

Last post I whined about lack of motivation and being tired and stuff. I slapped around every reason why except for one: Overtraining.

I know, it sounds odd. But as I look back at the last couple of months, I've recognized a pattern of exercising in a sort of no-man's land where the gains are small for the output levels. My morning strength training sessions are usually 30-45 minutes of non-stop movement. Runs have been consistently faster also, my rationale being I haven't really taken a break this year and I should be carrying fitness that allows me to go at that speed. It does, but just not every damn workout.

So, it is time to get my shit together and get on The Plan. I should have my yearly schedule done today, and I might even post it here in the hope some of you that visit this page will taunt me into sticking with it. Something I haven't done in many years. With the plan in hand, the next thing to do is find my heart rates for cycling, running and swimming through stress testing and setting heart rate zones that will maximize training. This accomplished, I will throw myself into The Plan, starting with a nice block of base building that will help my body handle increased training loads later and (hopefully) prevent me from overdoing over again.

No comments: