October 14, 2008

24 and DONE!

Another 24 Hours of Moab is in the books. Another. I should say my last. Of course one should never say never, but I am pretty sure that this was the last quack for the Duckboy.

I had fun, but this can be a miserable bitch of a race. The starting and stopping between laps is difficult. For me the sense of adventure is gone, as this was my 4th time. I guess it was maybe doing the race with friends that made me want to do it again. But seeing each other between rests and meals isn't exactly quality time. I'd rather go out and just ride and enjoy their company. SO! I think this was it. I'll go down and support a team, and maybe even pirate a night lap. But no more mandatory 3am, 35° temperature laps.

In spite of my whining, I admit the race went well. Our official position was 6th out of 34 teams with a time of 16 laps at 1:42:45 PM. Naturally, the 1st place team was in a league of their own. Ahem... Sandbaggers.

Still we did well. The weather held. It dropped into the 30s and the wind was pretty stiff but no rain. No one was injured. Nothing broke (except me). Everyone handled the challenge well and rode their figurative guts out (actually I rode my literal guts out). Especially our 4th rider, Payton. He's an animal. ANIMAL!

I managed two pretty solid laps before getting sick. After my night lap I started eating to refuel and got pretty nauseous. I slept for a while and woke up feeling fine about two hours before my lap. Unfortunately, I wasn't any better after all and even water was making me want to puke. After a 5 minute dry-heave session, I threw in the towel and Payton suited up.

My biggest fear was not having enough food and water left in my system and suffering dehydration and the hunger bonk the entire lap. I don't know what happened. But I looked pretty good in this picture at least.

My day lap was very windy but went pretty well. My night lap was awesome, I was really pleased with my performance. I bobbled a few times, but I hit some gnarly lines and rolled up and down some obstacles I wouldn't have tried in the daylight. Just a really great experience.

The Light & Motion lights worked well.

The Titus was dialed once again.

I didn't feel awesome physically, just a little sluggish, but probably needed a little more intensity in the training, and could have dropped 5 pounds. Guess I'll have to stop lifting weights. Whatever, stop drinking beer might help.

I wish I had a few more pictures to post but the LCD went out on the camera. Now I need a new camera for the next adventure, DISNEYLAND. Time to give back to Wifey and Smarty Pants for some of the training time I've been using.

Cyclocross is this Saturday, also. Better find a babysitter. I swear I am going to train for this one year...

No comments: